Watching the National Football League (NFL) is one of the most exciting experiences for casual followers and fanatics because of the entertainment it brings. Another reason is that the NFL unites people worldwide and shares the thrill of the competition.
Meanwhile, for many, watching the game brings the anticipation of sports betting, which adds to the fun and adventure. Unsurprisingly, placing bets on the NFL has become increasingly popular among sports enthusiasts and bettors.
With the legalization of sports betting, NFL bettors and fanatics can now enjoy a more engaging and safer experience. But while there are multiple ways to wager in the game, it’s crucial to understand better its approach to make smarter bets. Below, we’ve put together betting strategies that will help increase your winning chances.
Understand the Language of NFL Betting
You would not want to lose your money because you’re not familiar with the language of the game. Learning the basic terms and how they work for the game is essential. For a starter, here are some of the must-learn basic terminologies in NFL sports betting.
- Odds: This illustrates how much money you risk to get a potential amount of winning. In NFL betting, the American betting odds are most likely used. It works with two basic preferences: the favorites and underdogs. It’s represented with a minus (-) sign for the favorites and a plus (+) sign for the underdogs.
- Point Spread: This number is assigned by oddsmakers, illustrating the gap between superiority and inferiority to even out the playing field between teams.
- Moneyline: This means that you’re picking the winning team without associating the point-spread factor.
- Over/Under (Total): This is betting on the total points scored by both teams in a game. Bettors will determine and wager on whether the actual number is over or under the prediction of the oddsmaker.
- Bookmaker (Bookie): This is an individual or an organization providing a platform for bettors to place bets on any betting game, including the NFL. They earn from the commissions or “juice” charged to losing bets.
- Prop Bet (Proposition Bet): This is like betting on micro events or specific outcomes, like which player or team will score first or be the first touchdown scorer.
- Leg: This is commonly associated with parlay wagers, betting on multiple contests, and they select one of the “legs.”
- Parlay: This is betting on multiple legs on one ticket, but all legs should win to get paid. This is riskier than other bets but offers a higher payout.
The Effective Winning Strategies of NFL Betting
To increase the winning chances, experts provide strategies to keep the bettors, especially the beginners, informed. These are some of the basic yet most valuable approaches to keep in mind.
Know the Team’s Standing
Current NFL Standings are always top of mind in placing bets. Since it’s a team sport, matchups and team standings can dramatically affect the game’s outcome. A higher standing signals the team’s performance, skill, and ability to an effective strategy.
Likewise, a higher team standing boosts the morale and confidence of each player, which can impact their gameplay, thereby getting better playoff chances. Conversely, teams with lower standing can indicate underperformance resulting from skill discrepancy, poor coaching, injuries, etc.
Be Mindful of the Location
Home-field advantage matters well. If you ask most casual bettors about the worth of home-field advantage in the NFL, they will tell you three points on the spread.
Aside from familiarity with the playing surface, the home team’s fans’ attendance is high. This can excite players to perform their best without difficulty overcoming time changes. Traveling teams can have inherent problems due to fatigue, time difference, and field familiarity, which can put their playing performance at a disadvantage.
Avoid Being Emotional
Wagering based on personal biases or gut feelings can lead to pitfalls. You may overlook critical information when you place your bets based on your emotions. This can result in poor decision-making and reckless behavior. For instance, you may chase losses or make substantial wagers to recoup losses.
Before placing any bets, conduct a thorough research. Analyze data and statistics, stay updated with injury reports, and be informed about relevant information that may affect the game’s outcome. It’s also wise to set the amount of money you’re comfortable losing before starting NLF or any form of betting.
Proper bankroll management helps you establish a budget and stick to it. This means limiting the amount of money you risk, especially for activities involving uncertainties like the NFL betting.
With good bankroll management, you can better determine the size of bettings and limit your losses. You can fix a percentage of your bankroll at a fraction between one and five percent, depending on your better style and risk tolerance. Suppose your bankroll is $2,000, and you opt for a 2 percent betting unit. You can bet $40 on each wager.
Manage Your Expectations
Furthermore, experts always advise to manage expectations and emphasize the importance of the following:
- Understand the potential outcomes and the associated risks
- Expect losing streaks along the way
- Maintain a disciplined approach
- Stay patient and trust the process
- Never chase your losses
The NFL sports betting experts and professionals have many valuable strategies to help you make logical decisions when placing bets. However, these strategies can only increase your chances of making profitable bets if you utilize them and trust the system.
Regardless of whether you’re a seasoned bettor of the NFL or a beginner, always keep in mind to follow the experts’ advice to enjoy the game without jeopardizing your financial well-being.